Sonoma Mountain Preservation – SMP – has been advocating for open space and scenic preservation of the mountain since 1993, and was incorporated as a non-profit corporation in 1999. Your contribution to SMP will help us continue our work.
- expand recreational opportunities on the mountain
- provide a forum for constructive discussion of issues relating to the mountain
- represent the interests of SMP before public and private agencies and organizations
- support and encourage development of hiking and equestrian trails for low impact access to the mountain
- stimulate interest among like-minded citizens and property owners in supporting all these goals.
SMP consists of an all-volunteer board, steering committee, and a broad constituency of concerned citizens. Visitors are welcome.
2019 quarterly Steering Commmittee meetings are: 1/23, 4/24, 7/24, and 10/23 (Wednesdays) from 3:30 to 5:30 PM at the SEC office on the SDC campus (call 996-9967 for directions). We have guest speakers who deepen our knowledge of the mountain at each meeting. All are welcome! For more information, please use the web contact form or speak directly to one of the steering committee members.
Our meetings focus on actions relating to proposed or built developments on the mountain; participation in public hearings regarding developments; and updates to current discussions and/or controversies regarding, for example, trails, winery expansion, and open space acquisition.
SMP supports the efforts of other organizations in the county to preserve open space and make it accessible to all citizens, including the SDC Coalition, the Sonoma County Agricultural Preservation and Open Space District, state and regional park districts, and other non-profits, including the Sonoma Land Trust, LandPaths, the Sonoma Ecology Center, and the Bay Area Ridge Trail Council.